Okay, so this is just me being way too much of a nerd. But I figure I’m going to sort of try to figure out what’s coming up for Definitive Edition, based on the few hints that we’ve gotten. Here is what we know; please correct me if I’m wrong!
There will be a total of six sets, include the core and whatever the Oblivaeon finale ends up looking like. There will not be single decks released the way that there were for EE. Not clear on whether more hero variants will appear as a separate thing, or as part of future sets.
Every deck that’s in Enhanced Edition will be receiving a Definitive Edition update. I think there might have been a vague hint that there may be a few new decks appearing, but maybe not?
The second expansion is Rook City Renegades.
The Scholar is not in either Rook City Renegades or the Oblivaeon expansion.
Based on this, I broke down how many decks there are to update, and then guessed how they might be thematically linked to create six expansions. Just for fun, I thought I would put my predictions here, and then after each set comes out we can see how dramatically wrong I am. So here goes:
Core Set (already published)
- 12 Heroes [Freedom Five, Prime Wardens, Unity, Ra]
- 6 Villains [Blade, Dawn, Voss, Omnitron, Matriarch, Akash’Bhuta]
- 6 Environments [Megalopolis, Atlantis, Mars, Insula Primalis, Freedom Tower, Magmaria]
Expansion 1: Rook City Renegades (name confirmed)
- 6 Heroes [Nightmist, Fixer, Expatriette, Setback, Harpy, Parse]
- 6 Villains [Plague Rat, Spite, Chairman, Gloomweaver, Kismet, Ambuscade]
- 4 Environments [Rook City, Pike Industrial, Realm of Discord, Madame Mittermeier’s]
I collected all of the Rook City heroes and villains and their locations, plus a couple of nemeses. Ambuscade sort of ended up here by default, but he mainly fits. Madame M’s fits the vibe, although it’s not primarily a Rook City location.
Expansion 2: Tome of the Bizarre
- 6 Heroes [Visionary, Omnitron-X, Chrono-Ranger, Scholar, The Naturalist, The Sentinels]
- 6 Villains [Dreamer, La Capitan, Miss Information, Iron Legacy, The Ennead, Apostate]
- 4 Environments [Tomb of Anubis, Time Cataclysm, The Block, Silver Gulch]
This ended up as a catch-all expansion. I wanted the time travellers in a set together, I wanted the Sentinels to appear before Void Guard, and I tossed the last couple magic heroes here to round it out.
Expansion 3: Cosmic Tales
- 6 Heroes [Idealist, Mainstay, Writhe, Doctor Medico, Sky-Scraper, Guise]
- 6 Villains [Infinitor, Deadline, Kaargra, Progeny, Wager Master, Chokepoint]
- 4 Environments [Dok’Thorath, Maerynian Refuge, Enclave of the Endlings, Fort Adamant]
This set ended up with the space and cosmic heroes, their enemies, and the Fort Adamant storyline for the Void Guard’s creation. I could see flipping Guise and KNYFE, but since I had Wager Master here it fit best.
Expansion 4: Revocorp Presents
- 3 Heroes [Benchmark, Stuntman, KNYFE]
- All 15 Team Villain Decks
- 4 Environments [Celestial Tribunal, Court of Blood, Temple of Zhu Long, Omnitron-IV]
Team villain decks are smaller, so they can probably fit them all in if there are fewer hero decks. This set includes three heroes who either were villains or were working for them, four environments that are kind of villains in their own right, and the team villains.
Final Expansion: Oblivaeon
- 4 Heroes [Luminary, Akash’Thriya, Lifeline, La Comodora]
- 4 Oblivaeon Decks: Oblivaeon, Scions, Aeon Men, Missions
- 5 Environments [Champion Studios, Nexus of the Void, Mobile Defense Platform, Mordengrad, Final Wasteland]
- Hero variant cards.
The final set includes the four villains who became heroes specifically to fight Oblivaeon, the main four decks for the big guy himself, and all the environments that didn’t fit elsewhere, most of which were Obliveaon decks last time around. Not sure about those environments, and it feels late to have hero variants pop up here, but I’m not sure where else they would go.