Prime war

What you just described is player vs. player.

Except in the case of the villain trying to make a balanced fight for the heroes rather than fighting them. Like a game master.

What you're describing is known as "one-vs-many", and it's considered to be cooperative-adjacent because of the high level of teamwork needed to win. 

The villain player is trying to make a balanced fight for the heroes?  I thought the villain player was trying to win because only one side can win in a PvP game like Tactics.  I must have been playing wrong because I thought the game consisted of actual direct competition between players rather than competition-adjacent activities like game mastering. :stuck_out_tongue:

After making my snarky comment, I realized that I think the game probably would be better if it were competition-adjacent, with a game master running his friends through a fun, engaging, story-driven challenge.  But that's not Tactics (at least, as it stands now).

true but Migrantp has acknowledged in the past that he has experience with this and there are many board games out there that support ai players. So it is doable. Again this goes back to how long are they talking for prime wars. If they just started we could be talking a year before we see prime wars at least which gives handelabra plent of time to finish the expansions for sotm and start a new project 

I'm just not sure how willing they'd be to develop a video game based on a board game that didn't do so well.

But CC is not green latern , I mena come on the power it self is not just for GL . Any character could have that power

Sorry I just had to say  that =/

There's nothing wrong with comparing Captain Cosmic to being like Green Lantern.  It is an easy one to make considering both work off of creating items of pure energy.  

Yes that is true but still it's just not right to give GL so much credit like there the only ones that can have that power

He is the most well known character that has similar a similar power set and it makes sense to list it out that way.   There is nothing wrong with giving credit to Green Lantern.   Other characters may have similar powers but they are not as widely known.  

Honestly, it is when I play the villain. :slightly_smiling_face: I actually have a friend who is competitive and doesn't like playing Tactics with me on their team, because I play in character.

So unless I'm playing someone like Bunker, I'm probably not making the best tactical decisions but doing something fun and interesting that is in character.

(There's a reason I don't play in tournaments…)

Same. It might be my gm experience, but I DON’T play to win as the villain. I play to keep it looking as if I could win at any moment. Because it’s no fun to me if I play competitively as it is now. Maybe in prime war, but not like this.

FWIW, I hope that the Prime War scenarios will show some more character/storyline development, as that felt a bit thin in Tactics (if only because there is less opportunity to show card-art). Personally I do think that Prime War/Ennead will be more colorfull and action-packed than Broken City/For Profit and will allow way more storyline progression and as such am really looking forward to it. 

Perhaps an idea for the pot: what about including an app with or shortly after Prime War to release, make or generate additional, fan-made or random scenarios? Released scenarios by themselves (without the in between comic-book stuff) could already suggest a story-progression similar to the many cards in SotM. Furthermore, this could also be a nice medium to release tournament maps etc.

Regarding timeline, I fear we are talking a kickstarter in February and a year on top of that for release. However, this time I sure hope that GtG uses it's ability to hype things up during the kickstarter and continues that until delivery, even if it is just a snippit of (unfinished) art, hero power, game-mechanic to show that they are either not rushing things or suffering from problem-avoiding behavior (which long silences, a delay and then a fizzle tends to suggest). In other words: this time round, please keep us informed as things progress/develop!

I don't think we're going to see another Kickstarter for this; given that they already had a preorder campaign for Sentinel Tactics Core Set #2, I imagine they already have the money to make Sentinel Tactics Core Set #2. There may well be a delay in its release due to the change, but not a year-long one.

and this is why I am interested in knowing a rough timeline of what they are thinking even if it's not exactly what will happen

Hard to make an informed decision on getting a refund until they say something more, like when we might get the product, what is in for those that  are letting them use thier miney for years interest free, and are they charging for a conversion kit or will it be free for those that have preordered? So far no word on this, and i am willing to bet money, if no one had asked at the gencon panel about tactic, we would have only heard about orime war in jan when they delayed tactics again. So far greater than games customer service when it comes to the tactics preordered has sucked. We have to beg for updates which are minths or now half a year apart. They got the money so now they will use it for other projects and will keep us updated if and when they fill like it, which it seems they have not felt like it recently.

I also have to agree with Godzilla.  I am a HUGE G>G fan, I mean most of us who are here are.  I've been around since the start and love them so much I've dumped hundreds in them over the years.  I normally tolerate a lot but even I question this update.  I mean I parted with nearly $170 Feb 2015.  When this game was initially delayed closer to the expected launch for the major overhaul I had full faith in the guys and just said to myself, "Oh well, it happens".  I knew nearly a year delay was a lot but would likely make sense and more then worth it and they told us their full plans including new time line.  This time though they make a huge decision to throw out something they said last time was going back to the drawing board and was going to take months of redesign to now do the same thing but say we're starting basically from scratch and give us nothing to go from.  No concrete details of play style or who else is included in the games such as all of the characters for this amount of money.  I mean seriously will this fully be a even swap out to what I already ordered ad paid for.  Also No time line to go from period.  The newest estimate given was Junuary 2017 nearly two years after most of us paid, how much of a delay are we talking here.  March 2017 or something even more like summer 2017 so over a year from now and nearly 2 and a half years from when we pre-ordered and paid.  Also I am never a fan of simply saying "we're working on something for our true believers"  What is that.  Please tell me because it will directly influence my decision of if I need a refund.  No offense, like I said, I love G>G, but I know they are not a fan of exclusives.  With the first Sentinel Tactics on KS, we were told the biggest bonus to paying more there was of course getting it first and the rare 8 extra cards that wouldn't be released anywhere else but conventions and they later they listed on their online store for less then $10.  It seemed wrong, who's to say our big reward for trusting and giving up our funds over two years in advance where interest is being collected isn't equally tiny and pointless.  For truly help them and trust in them, I want to know a little more about what is going on,  I never would have ever considered I'd want to ask any sort of refund from G>G ever, but this does have me questioning things as I could really use the extra funds now. 

Please G>G, respect back your true fans and give us a little more to go off of to make well informed decisions.

No concrete details of play style or who else is included in the games

The play style will still be Tactics, just with polished and updated rules. They said at least that much, so I wouldn't expect a completley different game than the first set, just hopefully a more polished version (think original release SotM compared to the later released Enhanced Edition).

They listed a ton of characters already. Announced characters include 6 Prime Wardens (Tempest, Cap Cosmic, Haka, Fanatic, Argent Adept, Sky Scraper), Apostate, Blood Countess, and the entire Ennead (Shu, Set, Isis, Osiris, Nuit, Neph, Tefnut, Atum, Geb). Thats 17 characters announced right there, and theres a chance that number will actually be higher.

Hope that helps cement some of the announced details.

foote, no offense but I think the detail a lot of people want to know is a rough timeline.